Do you keep your rabbit and/or small animal outside and plan to do it during winter time as well?
We all know what it's like to be cold during the winter. One day it feels warm, and the next the temperatures drop and suddenly it's freezing outside. As people, we have the ability to dress appropriately based on the weather outside. Even though our pets have a fur that protects them against sudden changes in the weather, this might take a while longer than it does to simply change clothing. Our pets' coats have to shed and a new fur will come in.
Since this shedding process can take a while, it can be particularly nice for pets if there are a few aids for them during the colder months of the year.
Here are some tips that can help them grow a healthy, thick winter coat:
- Ensure that you feed your pet a complete feed that helps build up the necessary reserves and energy that your
pet will need during this season.
- By adding Grape Sugar to the drink water, your pet will be much more energized. Additionally, adding
this solution to the water, the water will freeze over less quickly.
- Extra vitamins ensure a better immune system.
- There are special thermo-covers that ensure that the water in your pet's water bottle does not freeze.
- It is important to have a well-isolated cage for your pet. It should not be drafty or generally cold, as your
pet can get sick from this cold.
The above-mentioned tips will help you support your pet during the colder weeks of the year. However, if you plan
to keep your pet outside most of the time, it is important to check on them frequently.
No matter what you do, always check on your pet several times a day, so they do not have to go without water for a long period of time. It is also a nice moment to check if your pet is cold. In that case you can add an extra layer of straw to your usual bedding.
And always remember, taking your sweet small animal inside, never hurt anyone!